To trap the squirrels we set up wire traps baited with sunflower seeds outside of active burrows. Below are the procedural steps we take to dye-mark their fur:
1) Scare squirrel into bag and hold down:
2) Inject hind leg with ketamine
3) Insert metal ear tags into both ears
3) Paint ID number onto fur (using nyanzol dye)
4) Measure body parts (snout to anus, leg length, tail length)
5) Wait for it to regain consciousness (perfect time for photo ops)
Although 96 traps are set out, very few squirrels have been caught. It takes them a while to become comfortable with the traps, but after they realize they can get a free meal, it will be hard to get them out.